Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:48:38 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   System will not shutdown with modem card inserted

I just noticed this, but it may have been going on for some time as I
had never plugged a PCMCIA card into this system until yesterday.

When I shut down the system with my Simple Tsch modem card inserted, the
system will not power off or reboot with shutdown(8). It just sits there
after the "uptime" message.

The system is an IBM T43 running current as of today. The card is a
"Simple Technology 28.8 Communicator". Nothing special about my
configuration. Config available on request, but it's pretty
uninteresting. Here is the message I receive when the card is inserted:
pccard0: Allocation failed for cfe 32
sio4: <Simple Technology 28.8 Communicator> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 11 function 0 config 33 on pccard0
sio4: type 16550A
sio4: [GIANT-LOCKED]
sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode

That's about it. I realize that there is a serious lack of data on this.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)