Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:51:13 GMT
From:      Victor Blood <iam@masm.elcom.ru>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/93438: Freebsd reboot by "shutdown -r now" cause damage CMOS.

>Number:         93438
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Freebsd reboot by "shutdown -r now" cause damage CMOS.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Reboot machine, using "shutdown -r" instruction cause damage CMOS. After CPU restart I have a note, that "CMOS checksum failed, defaults loaded". The Windows95, Ms-DOS and compaq Setup diskette are reboot computer normaly, without cause damege to CMOS. Then CMOS resets to defaults, setting for date/time and  periphery ara stay good, but other such as: "Non-dos partition" option set are loaded from defaults.

Machine: Compaq deskpro 466 model, i486-DX2 processor,
video: S3 trio64, embedded video is disabled in bios.
>How-To-Repeat:
after rebooting by instruction: shutdown -r now
>Fix:
search, search, but can't find problem-solving...