Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:37:49 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NewComer Questions...

>> > 2.  Naming conventions for /dev entries for such beasts.
>> /dev/{r}sd[0-9][0-9]
>> there is a limit at the moment to about 32 drives per machine
>> (I think) but it's a rather artificial limit
>> and could be removed relativly easily.
>
>Good.  How is this limit imposed?  I need to know.
>We can have sd0-sdf.  What we need is either sd00-sdff or (better?)
>c[0-f]b[0-f]d[00-ff]s[0-400][a-h].  This gives you exactly 32 bits
>minors which I noticed FreeBSD to use already.

   The "-current" limit is 512 disk devices...sd0 through sd511. I plan to
bring this change into the 2.2 branch perhaps as early as tonight.

>When the initializing routines are running, are interrupts enabled?

   That's a difficult question. It depends on which version of FreeBSD and
what type of device (PCI/ISA) it is. Bruce might know the answer more
specifically.

>Is the VM totally functional?

   Yes, the VM system is initialized prior to any device probes/attaches.

>  Can one sleep in the initializing?

   No, but you can DELAY().

-DG

David Greenman