Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:23:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.net>
To:        up@3.am
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partition sizes

Hi,

ok here's our twist to the partitioning games

a	100MB	/
b	256MB	swap
e	500MB	/usr    # mounted ro
f	1000MB	/var
g	9999MB	/u1	# all the rest goes here

complemented with following....

	mkdir /u1/local
	ln -s /u1/local /usr/local

	mkdir /u1/home
	ln -s /u1/home /home

	mkdir /u1/www
	ln -s /u1/ww /www

	rmdir /tmp
	ln -s /var/tmp /tmp

a full install fits nicely into the 500mb /usr and we don't have
to add /usr to our backups as /usr/local and everything else lives
on /u1

Additional disks are partitioned as /u2, /u3 etc...

We then run symlinks all over the place. Scales nicely...

Add more /var for a busy mailserver etc....  1Gig /var is what we do
for default even on workstations.  Stuff like printjobs, system logfiles
etc... all need lots of spare in /var and /var/tmp

If you do a lot of kernel builds I would recommend relocating /usr/src
etc... to /u1 also.

Greetings
Christian

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 up@3.am wrote:

> for the mail server, I'd go:
>
> 500MB   /
> 1.5GB   /usr
> 4GB     /var  (put half of that in /home if you're using qmail)
> 2GB     /home
>
> For the web server (assuming customer sites are in ~):
>
> 500MB   /
> 2.5GB   /usr
> 1GB     /var
> 4GB     /home
>
> There are sooo many variables, of course...where are the customer web logs
> going to be? etc..)
>
> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Sue Blake wrote:
>
> > I'm rebuilding an ancient ISP server as two new FreeBSD servers, basically
> > separating mail from the web/shell machine.
> >
> > Where there was two gigabytes to play with before (for the OS, swap,
> > logs, ...), I find myself staring at about 8 on the new drives, and
> > wondering how to make partitioning decisions that will still look
> > resonable some time down the track. (The data drives will be brought
> > across from the old system.)
> >
> > Apart from examining how the present system copes, is there something I
> > should be reading, or is it just a matter of experience, or are all ISP
> > systems started from best guesses and growed like Topsy? :-)
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >         -*Sue*-

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message
> >

> James Smallacombe		      PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
> up@3.am							    http://3.am

TopLink Internet Services GmbH			ck@171.2.195.in-addr.arpa
Christian Kratzer				http://www.toplink.net/
Phone: 	+49 7032 2701-0
Fax: 	+49 7032 2701-19	FreeBSD spoken here!