Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:46:54 +0000
From:      John <jwd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD SCSI List <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   START STOP UNIT cmd timeout ST3300655SS

Hi Folks,

   I was recently given some slightly older shelves with ST3300655SS
drives in them. These shelves came from a working system.  I tried
to attach them to a 10-stable systems with a 9207-8e card, latest firmware.

mps0: <LSI SAS2308> port 0x5000-0x50ff mem 0xfadf0000-0xfadfffff,0xfad80000-0xfadbffff irq 32 at device 0.0 on pci6
mps0: Firmware: 18.00.00.00, Driver: 16.00.00.00-fbsd
mps0: IOCCapabilities: 5285c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,EventReplay,HostDisc>

   The system never comes up if it is booted with the shelf/drives attached.

   If I boot the system up and then plug the shelf in I can get:

ses0 at mps0 bus 0 scbus2 target 23 lun 0
ses0: <PMCSIERA SXP 24x3G RevC> Fxied Enclosure Services SCSI-5 device
ses0: Command Queueing enabled
ses0: SCSI-3 ENC Device

        (da1:mps0:0:10:0): START STOP UNIT. DCB 1b 00 00 00 01 00 length 0 SMID
249 command timeout on 0xfffffe0000b826d0 ccb 0xfffff803fa1b4000
        (noperiph:mps0:0:4294967295:0): SMID 1 Aborting command 0xfffffe0000b826d0

   The above continues indefinitely never bringing the drives online.

   The doc for this drive states the following:

If the drive receives a NOTIFY (ENABLE SPINUP) primitive through either port and
has not received a START STOP UNIT command with the START bit equal to 0, the drive
becomes ready for normal operations within 20 seconds (excluding the error recovery procedure).

If the drive receives a START STOP UNIT command with the START bit equal to 0 before
receiving a NOTIFY (ENABLE SPINUP) primitive, the drive waits for a START STOP UNIT
command with the START bit equal to 1. After receiving a START STOP UNIT command with
the START bit equal to 1, the drive waits for a NOTIFY (ENABLE SPINUP) primitive. After
receiving a NOTIFY (ENABLE SPINUP) primitive through either port, the drive becomes ready
for normal operations within 20 seconds (excluding the error recovery procedure).

If the drive receives a START STOP UNIT command with the START bit and IMMED bit
equal to 1 and does not receive a NOTIFY (ENABLE SPINUP) primitive within 5 seconds,
the drive fails the START STOP UNIT command.

   The system is timing out, not failing the cmd. ?

   Thoughts?

Thanks,
John