Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:35:12 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to find what "revision" of OS you're using?

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:28:22 CST, Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:

> I've just run cvsupit and did a "make world" on a box running FreeBSD
> 3.4.  The machine has been rebooted and all looks to be working
> fine.  After all this, how do I find out what revision or version I'm
> actually running.  More specifically, what rev or version of FreeBSD 3.4 is
> now installed on my computer?

The command ``uname -a'' will give you the broader FreeBSD version (e.g.
FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE i386) and the time at which your running kernel was
compiled.  This should give folks a fair idea of what version of FreeBSD
you're using, provided you keep userland in sync with the running
kernel (which you seem to be doing with ``make world'' anyway).

Ciao,
Sheldon.