Date:      12 Aug 2001 12:59:14 -0000
From:      dev-null@no-id.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Netscape Browser [RANT]

"---Andy" wrote:
=====
 Some of us go ahead and disable Java and Javascript because it could pose a
security problem.  If you have questions in that regard, I'd advise you to
take it up with www.cert.org unless, of course, you've come up with a fix
for those problems which I think a lot of us would be more than happy if you
would share said fixes.
=====

So? I run my browsers (if you can call them that) in
a restricted environment. Go read a few man pages
before you begin to preach client-side security to
me.

If you've _looked_ at the Net lately, a lot of
sites _insist_ that you have JavaScript enabled (e.g. www.hotmail.com). Maybe you should disable SSL too
because of possible man-in-the-middle attacks. Seen
the OpenWall Netscape/Mozilla JPEG processing heap corruption hole? Maybe you should just rm the
browser to prevent exposure to future such holes.

Disabling important features is NOT an appropriate
fix for bugs/holes in browsers -- the browser should
provide a reliable implementation or scrap the idea entirely.

But I don't care about frigging security issues. None of them matter when the damn browser doesn't even do its most mundane duty properly.

=====
        That's because the original post from the original author mentioned how he
was having problems with Yahoo! Chat locking up on him.  For the uninitiated
(which you seem to be one of, my friend, again used loosely), it is a Java
based multi-user chat program.  And I agree with the person that said that
if you want to chat to use IRC.  Why?  How many RFCs are involved in the
design/use of IRC?  Compared to how many involved with the use/design of a
Java based chatting solution?
=====

Hello? I was the original author. I know what
Yahoo! Chat is. I gave it as an example of
an applet that triggers a problem inherent
in Netscape itself. How did suggesting to
use IRC over Yahoo help the discussion
related to web browser problems? Answer:
it didn't because it was an intentional
smartass comment.

Now where the hell does your IRC RFC question
come into a discussion about web browsers?
I'm not doing a "Yahoo! Chat vs. IRC" thread.
What will you suggest next? Comparing apples
to oranges?

--
This message has been sent via an anonymous mail relay at www.no-id.com.