Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 23:04:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        wrsomsky@halcyon.com (William R. Somsky)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

William R. Somsky wrote...
> On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 11:38:36AM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > I have cut the SCSI timeout way down, and it massively shortens the boot
> > time.  I'll have to do the same for the IDE stuff, since I *do* have an
> > ATAPI CDROM (otherwise I'd just shut off the device completely).
>

> Hmmm... one thing I've noted on my 3.0-elf/cam box:
> When I boot, the SCSI system detects the SCSI disk and
> zip drive right off, but the SCSI CDROM isn't detected
> right away.  If there's a disk in it, it comes up a line
> or two later, but if it's empty, I don't get the line
> reporting the presence/specs/etc of the CDROM until
> well after the system has finished booting, and multi-user
> mode has started up...
>
> Any ideas what causes this?  OR is this just the way it is?

The most likely explanation is that your drive takes a while to figure out
that it doesn't have media.

When the CD driver probes, it sends a read capacity command to the drive
with a timeout of 20 seconds, and a retry count of 1.  If the command were
timing out (taking longer than 20 seconds) you would see an error message
from the controller driver, most likely.

So the problem is probably that your drive can't quickly figure out whether
it's got a CD on board.  It's nothing to worry about, really.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com