Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 1997 15:29:41 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Craig Shaver <craig@progroup.com>
Cc:        Calvary Chapel Austria <ccaustria@net4you.co.at>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Command not found

> > let's say I try to run a package I install - it gives me "Command not
> > found".  Why?  Also I configured XFree86 3.1.2 (on the Walnut Creek CD) and
>
> What does your path look like?  Try the /usr/bin/env command.  What shell
> are you using?  Do you have the .profile or .cshrc set up?  Looks like
> you are missing /usr/X11R6/bin in your path.

Also did you type "rehash" after installing the new package and before trying to run it? Logout/login will produce the same effect.

/bin/csh caches the names of executable programs found in $path. If you add a new executable somewhere csh doesn't know it until you tell it to "rehash" its database/cache.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net