Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 01:17:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   A test device driver

Hi,

Would anyone feel "bad" if we put a `test` device driver in the tree in
/sys/i386/isa ?  This could be nothing more than a dummy device that
would open, close and accept ioctls.  We could use this to document the
new devfs stuff (which is driving me batty...:)) and other things which
have to be done for a basic device to function.  We could have two of
these...  One that shows how a block device is setup and another for
character.

Side-Track:  If "possible" I would like to see more comments on ANY
new things that go into the kernel. Examples of these are devfs,
vm-buffer cache, procfs and so on.  Alot of people have the Daemon book,
but we have deviated so far from this, that it is starting to be worse
than useless to even have it.  These comments can either be in the source
files OR they can go into a seperate file in the handbook area.  I'm willing
to put these into SGML if you send me the ascii versions.

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF)     |
gclarkii@FreeBSD.ORG        |