Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:05:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
Cc:        Whiz-Kidz <whiz-kidz@pcisys.net>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook in ascii

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, mike allison wrote:

> Those are definitely  ASCII characters, just looks like a value, as far
> as sheer numbers go.  Leaves a bit to be desired in readability.  All
> those eXXXXXXXXtra lettttttters are definitely DDiissttrraaccttiinngg.
>

> -MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmike

Yes, they're all ascii.  But I believe that the definition of an
ascii document is that it contains nothing that isn't ascii--no
control codes, for example.  I don't think handbook.latin1
qualifies.

latin1 (iso-latin-8859-1) is one of many character sets; and
various document formats can use latin1, e.g., many html documents
are latin1 and are encoded with html.  Netscape reads latin1 by
default.

I think it's important to have the handbook and other documentation
available in plain ascii so that it can be printed out; matters of
installation, printing, configuring a kernel, and so forth are too
complicated to be read on a screen and remembered (at least for me).

I doubt that there are very many characters in the handbook (or the
FAQ) above ascii 127.  To the extent that there are, they may neither
display nor print correctly in dos/Windows.  The default character
set for dos and Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 is Microsoft code page
437.  This code page (character set) is not the same as latin1,
except, of course, for the first 128 characters.  The character set
differs somewhat and so does the "location" of the characters, that is,
the decimal equivalents.

The default code page "comes with your hardware," as Microsoft says.
In other words, it's on a chip.  Unless to take measures to change
it, that's what you've got--whether your pc runs dos/Win or FreeBSD.

One available code page is 850, which is the default (hardware code
page) on pc's sold in Europe and French-speaking Canada.  However,
code page 850 is not the same as iso-latin-8859-1.  Although I think
one can find somewhere on the net a 8859-1 code page for dos, it's
not readily available.  I know how to change code pages in dos and
Windows 3.1, but 95 does not offer the code page as an explicit
choice; it seems to select the code page it considers appropriate.

The consequence of an "ascii" version of the handbook (which is of
course available on the cdrom) is that all the typographical
conventions available with postscript or html (or even rich text
format) for bold, italic, and so forth that are used to indicate
text to be replaced or what gets typed (versus, say, the command
prompt) is lost.  This seems to be to be an important consideration
in writing documentation.

AAnnnneelliissee :) :)