Date:      Sun, 04 May 1997 20:43:33 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <nash@mcs.com>
To:        "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@bazzle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dan O'Brien" <dob@bazzle.com>
Subject:   Re: SMP performance (what am I doing wrong)

Eric J. Chet wrote:
>         I'm not seeing any difference between a -current-up kernel
> and a -current-mp kernel with rc5.  On a current-up kernel I was
> seeing 122k keys a second.  On a -current-mp box with 2 rc5
> processes running I was seeing 2x122k keys a second.  I was
> running the rc5 clients with a nice value of 20.
[ rc5 output ]
> Try running the two rc5 clients if have a dual smp box.  What might have
> happend was your single rc5 client was bouncing between cpus and thats
> where your performance lose came from.  The current schedular doesn't
> have any code to help process cpu affinity. I'm using a dual pentium-133
> box BTW.

I did try two simultaneous rc5 clients (see my last mail for the
differing results I got by running the same test twice).  However,
you just pointed me in the right direction:  You ran the client in
key cracking mode, as opposed to the benchmarking mode I had run it
in.  Mine ran for about tens of seconds, yours for tens of minutes...

I ran the client the same way you did and watched the output in top.
The cpuidle processes started out >50% CPU and then slowly decayed.
After about 45 seconds (or thereabouts) they were consuming a few
percent.  Another 15 seconds later they dropped to 0%, and have
stayed there ever since.  I don't doubt I will get 2X throughput
now :)

Perhaps you could try this and see if you get similar results:
Run 'top -S -I' and then start the two clients.  Do you see
a similar decay in idle proc CPU%?

Alex