Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:27:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-0-31.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        kris@FreeBSD.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        dmartin@origen.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Strange Spam

In reply:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Richard Martin wrote:
>
> > Has anyone been seeing spam like this lately?  It consists of an
> > unintelligible sequence of English words.  Seems to be just strings of
> > randomly generated words, but I am wondering if there is something more
> > sinister going on here. Someone accidentally send us an encoded message?
>
> I'm wondering if this was an attempt to saturate Echelon by spamming
> messages which are likely to trip its detection criteria (someone else
> noted the right-wing and technical jargon). The (lack of) sentence
> structure would probably flag it as a false positive (the NSA seem to have
> some fairly sophisticated language analysis systems working for them from
> what's available in the open literature), but the originator might not
> have known how to create plausible english garbage messages.
>
> It's certainly very strange.
>
> Kris

honestly.  how much experience do you have in the computer field?

echelon is a great idea, but i honestly don't think the computing
power exists to filter ALL internet traffic through a centralized
location.

i have worked in the telecom industry, and i can say that none of the
systems at any place i've ever worked at were involved in any such
activity.

occam's razor dictates that the entire echelon thing is just another
commie-style recruitment tactic that right-wing extremist groups use.

mail me privately and i'll give irrefutable commie sources for at
least 90% of current right wing conspiracy theories.  irrefutable
because the right wing itself established the source.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or