Date:      Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:09:55 +0200
From:      Csaba Henk <csaba-ml@creo.hu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soc ssh fs: dummy Fuse module aviable for review

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 05:55:50PM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> As a side note, another good filesystem project it would be nice to
> support in FreeBSD is FiST [1] and more specifically its powerful
> union filesystem [2] which seems to be far less broken than FreeBSD's
> unionfs.
>
> For those who don't know this, FiST only requires to have a no-op
> stackabke filesystem (called wrapfs IIRC) implemented on a given
> operating system to allow to take the best of all other filesystems
> implemented thanks to FiST.  This includes unionfs, cryptfs, gzipfs, ...
> They are implemented in pseudo-C code and ``merged'' with the
> OS-dependant wrapfs to create a new filesystem.
>
> [1] http://www.filesystems.org/
> [2] http://www.filesystems.org/project-unionfs.html

Yes, I've heard of Fist. It's an interesting project! Zadok is a great guy...

It's interesting to match Fist against Fuse. Both are meta-filesystems
with the goal of providing an easy-to-use , higher-level tool for creating
filesystems. Both have the property that code written using them will be
pretty portable (actual portability is of course limited by the
available ports of the basic tool).

Yet in implementation they are orthogonal: Fist is for making in-kernel
filesystems, Fuse is for making filesystems in userspace...

To add, there is a Google SoC project around which is closer to Fist in
the followed approach, the one about the K kernel metalanguage:

http://wikitest.freebsd.org/moin.cgi/RuGang
http://wikitest.freebsd.org/moin.cgi/K

Csaba