Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 17:26:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance of Java/FreeBSD

I have coded some simulator to study routing algorithms for my PhD thesis
and I have tried running my tests with jdk1.3.1/FreeBSD and
linux-jdk1.4.0/FreeBSD. It's damn slow... I mean far more than I expected.
I used to do tests under jdk1.2/hotspot-server/win32 and jdk1.3.1/win32
and I thought freebsd was just a bit less performant. What a surprise. To
give an idea : I think win32 goes more than 5 times faster than bsd.

Note that this is not a complaint mail. I am willing to help as far as I
can to make FreeBSD the best platform for java.

I was just wondering if someone had some hints about some performance
issues that might help to still use FreeBSD for my tests. I mean before
the day we have full powered hotspot/FreeBSD ;)

I ask this because it is quite annoying to have to code/debug in FreeBSD
(because even with vim, windows sucks for dev) and run in windows. At
least I illustrate the "write once, run anywhere" ;) It becomes for the
occasion : "write where you like to, run where you need to".

Maybe the linux-ibm ? or even Kaffe ? What can be done with JIT like
openJIT ? I know I should test on my own but you all know what it is : the
deadline for the article was... well, I think I should go back to paper
quick :(

Herv=E9

PS : I tried building the native jdk13 with -O9 (!) and I can't notice
any improvement.