Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 19:45:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2 to be given to attendees of USENIX Technical Conference

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Darryl Okahata wrote:

> "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > My 3.1 worked out of the box.  In fact, I have three machine here running
> > 3.1 out of the box.  Was I merely lucky?
>
>      Nope.  I've got an SMP box running 3.1-RELEASE, and it worked out
> of the box (I did, of course, have to rebuild the kernel to work with
> SMP, but 3.1-RELEASE worked out of the box in UP mode).

Mine didn't install out of the box. I attribute it to a bad CD only
and _not_ the underlying software. Just "one of them thangs..."

In fact, due to the inherent flexibility and durability of the OS, I
was able to recover enough of the botched install to get it running
and then build it piece by piece. Not a favorite thing to do but
possible. More than I wanted but a growth experience. ;-)

I would like to see "break points" in the install process where it
can be "picked up where left off". Example: after disk partitioning,
lableing, etc.; then again after file extraction and before it
"remakes devices" fixes permissions. That is where mine failed.

Essentially, 3.1 runs fine. I'll keep my subscription and look
forward to the 3.2 release in my mailbox.

John