Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:45:55 -0800
From:      "Adam Lofstedt" <adaml@visimation.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Putting home directories on mounted windows network drive

Hi (Please CC any responses to me, as I get the digest version)

Right now my FBSD firewall box is also my lightly-used ftp server with
chrooted ftp users.  An old machine (P133, 1.8 G Hard Drive) just got
freed up, and I would like to move the ftp services over to that old
thing.  The problem is the Hard Disk is real small, and the board won't
support a larger one.  I do have plenty of space on several windows
machines (NTFS) partitions, and was wondering if I could just mount an
NTFS network partition on the FTP box, and store the User's Home
directories on that Partition.  Do you see anything wrong with this
approach?  How are permissions handled (a mix of NTFS and UNIX
permissions?)?  Can you even mount a networked windows drive in FBSD
(using Samba I guess)?

Thanks for any advice!

Adam