Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 97 14:36:48 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu
Subject:   Re: MMAP Troubles (Joerg?)

> Slightly older news (but I suspect still current) was that INN is
> faster on FreeBSD _without_ mmap, due to caching etc.  Remember that

Back when I played with MMAP (2.0-2.1.5R), it did not seem to make a major
difference.

Given a reasonable news server, I don't think that active update time is
going to be the big concern, in any case.  You're much more worried about
the history and spool access times.

> you will want to mount your spool disks async and noatime too.  Search
> for anything that Joe Greco has posted about news machines; he appears
> to know his stuff pretty well.

I don't know if it's wise to mount async.  I am doing it on my new pet
box, newsfeeds.sol.net, and I have seen peaks of 44 articles per second
(INN1.5, FreeBSD 2.2C, disks async, PPro200, 192MB RAM) compared to
newspump.sol.net's record of 16 (INN1.4UNOFF4, FreeBSD 2.1.5R, disks
sync, P133, 256MB RAM).  But I am a little paranoid that a crash may
not come right back.  :-)

File deletions are so quick, they blow my socks off.

;-)

... JG