Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:35:32 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yes, but how do I upgrade?

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:10:44PM -0800, Steve Warwick wrote:
> I have a 4.3 BSD machine to upgrade, and it's a production machine :(
>
> On a test machine I have learned to CVSUP. I have used sysinstall and played
> around with the "upgrade" potion of the menu. I have configured, built and
> installed the kernel a few times.
>
> Ok, got that, but how do I upgrade?
>
> I am probably missing the point, but do I have to CVSUP, sysinstall/upgrade,
> AND build-install the kernel?
>
> I looked at "makeworld" in the handbook but it read like the instructions to
> building a house! Surely it's not a complicated as it looks?

There are two ways you might consider upgrading.

i) /stand/sysinstall --- this is essentially just installing the
latest release on top of your current system, plus some extra fiddling
about to preserve various configuration files.  Installing the system
is fairly reliable, but the process of updating the config. files
leaves something to be desired.  Then you've got the fun'n'games of
juggling kernels if you aren't using GENERIC.

ii) cvsup, {build,install}world. This is IMHO the preferable way to
upgrade a system.  It's certainly the most polished method.  The big
advantages are that building a customized kernel is integrated into
the whole build process, and you can build whatever version you want,
rather than a specific release.  In your case, for a production
server, you'll probably want to track the RELENG_4_7 branch, so you
can pick up any security fixes quickly but are otherwise running well
tested and fixed code.

Method ii may seem daunting, but it's pretty straight forward really.
You've learned all about cvsup already.  Now all you need to do are
grab the correct sources for the version you want to install, and
follow the method given in /usr/src/UPDATING to compile and install
the new version.  The instructions in the Handbook should be
sufficiently comprehensive to answer any questions you might have.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow