Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:22:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Kenneth Karoliussen" <odin@active-area.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs & pserver

Gerard Samuel wrote:
> Ive had cvs setup for some time now, and Im trying to set it up using
> pserver.
> Ive setup the CVSROOT environment like so ->
>
> CVSROOT=/files/www/data/source
> export CVSROOT
>
> I setup a passwd file under CVSROOT/passwd
>
> I could log into the cvs server with ->
> cvs -d :pserver:gsam@cvs.trini0.org:/files/www/data/source login
>
>  From here, when I try to do cvs co <my project>, I keep getting ->
> cvs [checkout aborted]: /files/www/data/source/CVSROOT: No such file or
> directory
>
> The directory CVSROOT does exist.  Does anyone know what my problem may be.
> Thanks

cvs obviously has a problem locating the approperiate CVSROOT structure
with the necessary control files. It should normally be located under
${CVSROOT}/CVSROOT/

Please check the cvs (1) manual and the init command;

<<
init -  Initialize  a repository by adding the CVSROOT sub-
directory and some default control files. You  must
use  this  command  or initialize the repository in
some other way before you can use it.

I.e. $ cvs -d /files/www/data/source init

(You may omit -d if you set the CVSROOT variable).

Best,

Kenneth Karoliussen