Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 08:58:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM driver confirmations...

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.980515085443.17015B-100000@hub.org> you wrote:

> Morning...
>
> 	I'm just working on getting my server upgraded to CAM, and just
> want to confirm a couple of things.
>
> 	First off, the server I'm working on is 2500km away, and I've got
> a 'serial console' working on it, but I'd like to try and avoid as many
> problems as possible :)
>
> 	I seem to recall someone mentioning that I don't *have* to change
> my 'sd' devices to 'da' devices right off to use this?  Mainly, I'd like
> to be able to backtrack very quickly if I have to, so changing /etc/fstab
> makes me a little nervous until I know this isn't going to cause smoke to
> come pouring out of the system :(
>
> 	Is this, in fact, safe to do?

The major and minor numbers for the sd and da devices are the same.
By changing the fstab entries, all you are doing is making the
system consistent in referencing devices named "da" by /dev entries
named "da".  To the kernel, everything is just major and minor number,
so it doesn't care what you name your device entries.

--
Justin