Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 11:54:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Cannot find file system superblock" error - how to recover?

--- Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:
> > (is disklabel/bsdlabel only meant to be run on slices and not
> > bsd-partitions?).
>
> You have it backwards in this question.   Disklabel is meant to run
> only on bsd partitions and not slices.   Slices (1-4) are the major
> divisions of the disk and partitions (a-h) are divisions within slices.
> Fdisk is what creates slices.

Ok, well the reason I thought it might be the other way is because if you
run disklabel (bsdlabel) on a slice (such as /dev/ad4s1 on my machine, which
is working, or /dev/ad0s1 on another machine I have access to) it works fine
(and reports an offset of 0),  but if you run it on the partition
(/dev/ad0s1c) you get an offset of 63 and errors like:

partition c: partition extends past end of unit
bsdlabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
bsdlabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard system
utilities
partition f: partition extends past end of unit

So why does disklabel/bsdlabel produce errors when run on the partition even
when the disk is fine, if it is meant to be run on partitions and not
slices?

Trying to learn... thanks!