Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:33:22 -0500
From:      "John W. O'Brien" <john@radioprosciutto.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        llwang@infor.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snag in math/py-numpy: checksum fails

On 10/28/2012 09:58 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> This time, the checksum apparently fails on two files in math/py-numpy.
[snip]

> => SHA256 Checksum OK for numpy-1.6.2.tar.gz.
> => SHA256 Checksum mismatch for numpy-ref.pdf.
> => SHA256 Checksum mismatch for numpy-user.pdf.
> ===>  Giving up on fetching files: numpy-ref.pdf numpy-user.pdf
[snip]
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/numpy-ref.pdf
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/numpy-user.pdf

As others have noted, this problem arises when upgrading math/py-numpy
because the PDFs across versions are not distinguishable by file name.
Cached distfiles are not replaced but fail the checksum step.
science/py-scipy has this problem too.

I've filed a bug report upstream for numpy, and will follow-up in due
course with an equivalent ticket for scipy.

http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2245

In the mean time, the work-around is to manually delete
$DISTDIR/numpy-{ref,user}.pdf before upgrading. Until this is resolved
upstream (or if it never is), perhaps the maintainer would develop a
local versioning system, or accept a patch that implements one.

Regards,
John