Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 16:43:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

It seems that Julian Elischer said:

> > > Hotter than that! :-) I wouldn't recommend it.  One drive in a box
> > > maybe.  Two, well, maybe you could put a hot plate on top and cook
> > > your breakfast in the morning.. :-)
>
> he's not kidding..
> I have a 3GB Hitachio drive here that's cooked itself
> because it was put in a normal PC cabinet..

Ah, I'm not claiming to go down *that* road!  This is a single, FH 5"
external enclosure (PS on the *side*) with a single fan at the rear.

> when it failed, I openned the cabinet  and touched the drive
> to see if it was mounted solidly.. Literally I burned myself
> It didn't QUITE blister, but I had a red mark on my finger for four days..
>
> since then I've started looking at this, and found several instances where
> the drive was too hot to touch..
>
> remember it's not the wattage, it's how fst you can DISIPATE that wattage.

Granted.  Given that I'm "holding the enclosure and Pd constant" and only
allowing the *source* of the heat to vary (i.e. tape vs. disk), this is
probably the best approximation I can make without having a real drive
in the enclosure!  Hence the reason I'm asking these questions!  :>

> a soldering Iron is often only 15 Watts, but it gets to, what, 300+ degrees F?

Actually, more like 700F.