Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 17:33:44 -0800
From:      Erich Boleyn <erich@uruk.org>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can test again...

Hi all.

FreeBSD's PCI code and the support for the EISA network card I have didn't
work for a while, but I just got the 2.2-ALPHA distribution, and it works
great (kudos to those who have been working on it).

I grabbed the SMP tree, and have been hacking on it a bit.

What I've noticed so far are:

  --  mptable-2.0.2.c  AND  the kernel :  Both do the MPS floating pointer
	probe wrong.  They are searching on 4-byte boundaries (it should
	be 16-byte boundaries), and search too many areas.  This caused
	my test machine to not be recognized correctly.

	The proper probe sequence is to search (again, on 16-byte
	boundaries):

	(1)  If the EBDA is defined:
		-- The first kilobyte of the EBDA
	   else:
		-- The last kilobyte of system base memory.
	(2)  ROM space between 0xF0000 and 0xFFFFF.

	If you find it anywhere else, it might be a false report (as
	mentioned, it did on my test box).

  --  If you have more than NCPU cpus it dies instead of just ignoring
	the other CPUs.

  --  If NCPU is greater than 2, then it dies trying to activate the
	3rd CPU.

I've hacked it so that can only activate 2 CPUs, and that seems to work
for the moment.  I'll try out the IO APIC stuff and see about getting
EISA interrupts.

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)