Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:24:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Tarik Alj <aljtarik@cholla.inrs-telecom.uquebec.ca>, archie@whistle.com, gregoire@cholla.inrs-telecom.uquebec.ca, "Vitaly V. Belekhov" <vitaly@riss-telecom.ru>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bridge + VLAN + netgraph

> Tarik Alj wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >         we are interested in develloping a netgraph
> > bridge node following the
> > 802.1Q standard; that is a bridge with VLAN support

If i can comment: i dod a VLAN bridge (between
cards on the same VLAN and supporting TRUNK interfaces)
back in 2.2.x times, and
was looking at porting this to 3.x/4.x just this morning.
The way i did it was within /sys/net/bridge.c and without
the VLAN supoprt in RELENG_3 and above.
The implementation within bridge.c is relatively straightforward
(and tightly related to the idea of clusters of interfaces which
is already in the source tree). The
only problem is perhaps performance because the VLAN header
insertion/deletion is done manually rather than resorting to
the hardware support that some cards might have. On the
other hand, i am not sure either if if_vlan.c does support it.

I am not sure how easy would it be to make bridging see
directly the "vlanX" interface because i think you cannot
define a trunk interface, and also there is the problem that
vlan_input() calls ether_input again so there is the need
for some care in avoiding that the packet is forwarded twice.

Plus, i am not really sure how vlan works with Archie's  commits
to simplify device drivers.

	cheers
	luigi