Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:05:23 -0200 (EDT)
From:      "Alexsandro D. F. Correia" <acorreia@marlin.com.br>
To:        announce@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems restoring Backups !!!

Hi Sirs,

I'm having lots of troubles with my backups, and i hope someone can HELP ME.

Here we have two machines with the same configuration.
Pentium 100, 32 Mb RAM, HD 2.0 gb SCSI and an EXABYTE - 4mm Cartridge
tape drive

 Running FreeBSD 2.1.

That's the problem i have.
I can write to the tape, but i can't read anything from the tape.

When i try to restore a backup, using tar for example my system crashes.
The computer tries to access de tape, and nothing happens, waits about
two minutes and then the system CRASHES.
Here follows the error msg the system sends to me:

	ahc0:target 3,lun 0 (st0) timet out
	st0(ahc0:3:0):BUS DEVICE RESET message
		      Queued.
	st0(ahc0:3:0):TARGET Busy
	ahc0:A:3:no active SCB for reconnecting
		 target - issuing ABORT.
	SAVED_TCL == 0x30
	ahc0:target1,lun0(sd0) timed out

By the way, I tested the restore on both machines, using CPIO and TAR.
But everytime i try to access something from the tape to the HD, the
system crashes.

Any help or information will be useful. I need to soon this problem as
soon as possible.

Please, I'll be very glad if someone help me.

Thanx a lot.

		Alexsandro Correia

     Alexsandro Correia		E-mail: acorreia@marlin.com.br
 Analista de Suporte Internet   Tel : +55 21 224-9950
				      +55 21 253-2971
 Marlin Internet		http://www.marlin.com.br
 Rua 7 de Setembro 48/13 Andar  Tel: +55 21 224-9950
 Centro - Rio de Janeiro	Fax: +55 21 223-427
 RJ - Brasil