Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:48:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Scott Hildreth <shild@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need direction...

I was hopping that someone can help direct me to a  solution or let me know if you are having the same or similar problems.    First thing, I know others are having this problem, my ATI Rage  128 card has not worked since Xorg 6.8.2.  I was wondering if  anyone knew if there is any work or possible fixes for this?  So  now I am using my onboard video (Via), well I was until  yesterday.  Xorgcfg configures the layout to use the vesa driver,  which was fine.  I recompiled my kernel the other yesterday and now
  I can't get xfce4 to work, in  fact ,  Xorg  core   dumps.  I  recompiled all of xorg and xfce4, still no  luck.   Yet xorgcfg works, twm, icewm all will work.  I  think it must be something with dri, glx, ...etc ?   I am  running 6.1 PRERELEASE,  I cvsuped this morning and compiled a new  kernel tonight.  Any help would be much appreciated, I am  completely frustrated right now. :-|

                                                             Thanks,
                                                                     STH