Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 01:01:48 +0200
From:      matteotti <carloma@bluewin.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp / ISDN and Netscape

Hello,

I am using FreeBSD-4.0-RELEASE. I connect to my ISP via ppp / ISDN. I
run isdnd as root, as well as ppp. When trying to use netscape as a
normal user a netscape message pops up saying: 'unable to locate server
www.bluewin.ch' (My ISP's server or whatever). But if I run netscape as
root, there is no problem.  I have no explanation for this, since this
problem did not exist before I switched to ISDN, i.e. when I used ppp
/ serial modem.  The routing table has the correct entries, I enabled
dns in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, the entries in /etc/resolv.conf are correct.
My question: Is it possible to avoid running netscape as root ? If so,
what needs to be changed in which config file ?

Every idea is very appreciated,

Best regards,
Carlo.