Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:56:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Lyndon Griffin <lgriffin@bsd4us.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SS 470 info

Not significantly different- just more- it's a 3rd level MMU extension to the
2 level sun4c/sun4/sun3 stuff. On the older machines it was a resource
limitation of pte's mapped by PMEG (page map entry group). The sunray MMU
added SMEG (system map entry group) to map groups of PMEGs.

If you mean "Is it different from other sparcs", i.e., sun4m/sun4u, yes-
sun4m/sun4u both have real memory page tables. The older sun machines were
more like the VAX- restricted amounts of SRAM to provide a multilevel TLB.
For the time an excellent but cheap design. With respect to flexibility, gawd
awful.