Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:45:34 -0700
From:      "Aric Allen" <aric_allen@myrealbox.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Wireless PCMCIA problems with 4.8-RELEASE on a Gateway 5100

Hello!  I'm having some difficulty with my wireless PCMCIA cards in =
FreeBSD
4.8-RELEASE.  Whenever I plug them in, and pccardd is run (either =
explicitly
or daemon), my machine will lock up after it tries to initiate the wi
driver.  There is no error message, and I cannot switch to a different
console, even when the card is ejected.  I have tried this both with a
generic PRISM III card that I configured in /etc/pccard.conf, and with a
Netgear MA401, which was recognized in the /etc/defaults/pccard.conf =
list.
I've looked through the archives here, and I have found similar locking
problems with others using the Gateway 5100 and it's TI1250 cardbus, but =
haven't been able to actually find a thread that offers a solution =
(aside
from buying a better laptop :).

Here is what I have tried (one at a time, individually):

#1- In /boot/loader.conf, I set the following options...
	hw.pcic.intr_path=3D"1"
	hw.pcic.irq=3D"0"

#2- I restricted the irq range in /etc/pccard.conf to 10 and 11, which =
were
the only IRQs not referenced in dmesg.

#3- I made sure PnP OS was set to "NO" in my BIOS.

#4- I put in a 3Com Megahertz 56K Modem, which was recognized and did =
NOT
lock up the system (which would work fine if I actually still had dial
up...)

#5- I prayed to the rain gods to bless my system, and sacrificed my =
children
to the snow demons...which was fun in and of itself, but accomplished
little.

I've already undone the above changes, and this is a new install, so I'm
essentially starting from scratch.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Aric Allen

-- Sometimes you get the weasel, and sometimes the weasel gets YOU!