Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:04:55 -0500
From:      Michael Proto <mike@jellydonut.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4 on flash disk and swap

In this case I'd just ignore swap. Since /dev/md0 is only a memory disk
anyway, you don't really buy anything by having it as swap as opposed to
unallocated RAM. Just make sure that all your running programs are able
to fit in the 256Mb of RAM you have, otherwise processes will fail to
start or others will die when they need to allocate additional RAM.

I'm running FreeBSD in 64Mb with no swap and it works fine. A few
sysctls that I've found helpful for running without swap:

vm.swap_enabled=0
vm.disable_swapspace_pageouts=1
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1

-Proto