Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 23:23:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <i4b@zabbadoz.net>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
Subject:   Re: cisco hdlc  [was: i4bing -> panic]

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> In /usr/src/sys/i4b/driver/i4b_ispppsubr.c (as i told you), grepping for
> CISCO gives as one of the first hits:
>
> #define IFF_CISCO       IFF_LINK2       /* auto-dial on output */
>
> The comment is for shure misleading, but it looks to me that setting link2
> will give you the CISCO protocol.
>
> Grepping further gives:
[snip]
> There are the keepalives.

Hi,

sorry for late answer but had to fight a cracker who tried a rm -rf /
on my old linux router (running with wide open services and full
logging to another machine ;) - really have to replace it now because
/usr and /var is empty -
Therefor had no time to really look at the code yet.

back to i4b:

1. ing is working (in theory).
   pratically I did not yet get any i4b if up.
   thanks for the pointer to the patch on the mailing list.

2. thanks for your pointer for cisco hdlc again but I think that
is not really what I was looking for (am quite more confused) -
please correct me - most likely I am wrong:

out of 2.4 "the b-channel"

--- snipp ---
HDLC is used for the IP over ISDN interfaces ipr and isp.  In case of
the ipr driver, IP frames are put directly into those HDLC frames and
sent to the remote site; in the case of isp IP frames are encapsulated
into PPP frames which in turn are put into the HDLC frames.
--- snipp ---

meaning:

- ipr is for using raw hdlc
...|"header" , i-frame		 , "more flags"| ...
		HDLC-FRAME

- isp is for using sync. ppp
	ppp is put into raw hdlc i-frame and
	doing it's own stuff there

...|"header" , "ppp head", i-frame, "ppp tail" , "more flags"| ...
		HDLC-FRAME with PPP

is this some kind of correct ?

ok. now there are two types of keepalives:
	1. cisco hdlc slarp keepalives
	2. "ppp keepalives"
that have nothing in common that the part of the name (highly
simplified).

So why is cisco hdlc implemented in isp instead of ipr if it is only
using "raw hdlc" with slarp extetions ? Am I missing something ?

So what I would have to use is ipr with slarp extentions.

3. already did some short testing to get some pieces of logfiles.
did put them on http://patch.zabbadoz.net/ in ISDN4FreeBSD section if
anybody is interested. They will tell you more than me at this state.

56 69 73 69 74				http://www.zabbadoz.net/