Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:20:05 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        "Paul L. Poynter" <ppoynter@rorke.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Software RAID 0 and 1? Journaling file system?

On Wednesday, 28 April 1999 at 13:35:14 -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Paul L. Poynter wrote:
>
>> Will I have the ability to mirror my boot drives with bsd?

Yes.

>> Is the filesystem "journaling" like IRIX XFS?

4.4BSD includes a journaling file system, but it hasn't been used
much, and I suspect that it's no longer completely reliable.  This
doesn't seem to be much of an issue for FreeBSD systems.

>> (if the filesystem needs to be fsck'd and the filesystem is a very
>> large raid, this may take several hours - don't want this)

Our goal is to avoid crashing :-)

> unfortunatly at this time i'm afraid FreeBSD doesn't offer this
> functionality, we DO have raid support, just not fast fsck because
> of logging.

You may have misunderstood the question.  When a journaling/logging
file system crashes, you don't need to run fsck: you replay the log.
It makes up for the faster fsck by slower performance all the time.
This is probably why nobody has been too concerned about it in the
past.

> btw, softupdates is _almost_ metadata logging, anyone care to
> describe what it would take to make fsck and softupdates co-operate
> to check point a filesystem?

Not I.

Greg