Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 06:30:46 -0700
From:      "Jack Velte" <jackv@earthling.net>
To:        "Jason" <kib@poboxes.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, <davidg@root.com>, <gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Why we should not support Microsoft.

you want to do this for real?  it probably violates my non-compete agreement
with WC.  i was the marketing bunny that this list thought was a droid.  i
put
most of the companies money into marketing FreeBSD.  now it's their best
product.  but you still have 0.01 market share.  in offices, MS has 100%.

is there a version in frys?  duh, no.  duh?  OS/2 is in there.  who thinks
OS/2
has any market share in the office market?  Apple?  BSDI?

FreeBSD, Inc needs a business plan and mission statement.

Who are the shareholders?  Jordan Hubbard, Justin Gibbs, David
Greenman.  Jordan is president.  Justin is a microsofty.

what are their salaries?  are the finances of freebsd, inc public?
lightpath,
lptha, ceo went from $40 to $150 their marketing ipo.

pricing:
    $39.95 - very limited support
    139.95 - some support and free stuff.
    789.95 - 24 hr, international support that's very good.  /year.  on site
with
                 expenses paid.

100M x 3 = 30,000,00 x 3 90000
                 $50M             $50M/

and 100M is low -- MS is in chinese offices too.  there are about 5B people
on
the world, and probably half of them will want a computer.

*everything* else is free.  except tshirts and books.

and fancy ap's.

3% office market share is an easy goal.  (Apple.)  the other company with
0% market share that once owned Unix is Corel, michael copeland,
Canada.  their market cap went from nothing to by some values
(other companies write offs) huge and back almost to nothing.  (?50M)

I propose devising some metrics for measuring contribution and then
applying them to the maillists and source code and then making the
creators and maintainers shareholders equal to their contribution, with
some float from other people that want to give them their money.  50/50.
the more metrics the better.  then fractal average them.

See, i think FreeBSD is vastly better than Windows or Macintosh, but it
sure doesn't have market muscle behind it.

FreeBSD has the pure heritage of Unix.  but !weird people and almost no
secretaries.

I think chuckie should get a sister and she should be the mascot.  Sandy K.

what about a DPO for $5M, then IPO for $30M?  $30M buys some lawyers
and advertising.  worth $400M, at least.

the DPO is also 50/50 -- equity measured in dollars and other contribution.

as long as one ap doesn't run on your system, you'll have 0% of the office
market.  so either the shim into the OS has to be PD or the whole OS.

the UI and OS should be separate.  FreeBSD is a vastly superior OS.  the UI
is ok, too, but the ap's don't run.  i do not think windows 95 UI is as good
as X.

nationalizing it would force Bill Gates to restate earnings, almost no
matter
which way he cuts the company in two.  short msft.  or sell calls.

>>i was throw out of CompUSA by the assistant sales manager and the guard
>>because
>>i wanted to test my application (for sale in the store) on the computer i
>>wanted
>>to buy (for sale in the store.)

this was albequere, but who cares?  the real manager was unfriendly also.
only the security guard was nice.  i wouldn't buy compusa stock.  whatever.

>I live in Michigan...but if someone treated me that way then they don't
need
>my business.  There are millions of small computer shops that will make any
>PC you want the way you want it and will almost always be cheaper then the
>big stores.   CompUSA, Best Buy and others like those are not the only
>places to get PCs.  And against popular opinion Packard Bell is NOT the
only
>computer to get  :)

this isn't what business thinks.

-jack

if you don't have rice, what good are megabits?
resume upon request.