Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:54:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josh Beck <josh@zcompany.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   booting off of a slice other than "a"

Hello,

I recently juggled some filesystems on a machine (3.0-980520-SNAP) and
because I'm relatively new to FreeBSD, didn't think about the fact that
disklabel defaults to slice e for data partitions, but booteasy wants to
boot off of slice a.

So now I have my / partition on 0:sd(0,e) instead of 0:sd(0,a), and I
don't really have the option to change that now (machine is in
production).

So, is there a way to kick booteasy and make it boot from slice e instead
of a, or is there a slick way to relabel partitions to make e suddenly
become a?

I found relatively little booteasy documentation... some stuff in
/usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot or something like that, and the nextboot
man page... I played a bit with sticking stuff in /boot.config, but it
seems that can't help because it has to know what slice to find
/boot.config on. nextboot didn't seem to help either.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love some help! Thanks.

Josh Beck                                                 josh@zcompany.com