Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 06:46:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      "William W. Crook" <talos@ns4.tecinfo.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   internal modem again

I think I need to take this one small step at a time, especially
considering I'm a complete newbie and I'm the guy who can't pour piss out
of a boot.  I'm going to try to be as explanatory as I can, but I know I'm
going to wind up leaving out something.  And yes, I'm the same guy in the
'modem on com 4' thread.

I'll recap just to make sure:

Freebsd 2.2.6, Acer Aspire.  I fried my external 28.8 the other day by
plugging in the wrong AC adaptor cord.  I have a Wisecom 56k internal that
I'm trying to use.  It's not a winmodem as far as I can tell.  The jumpers
are set for non-pnp.  It doesn't matter what serial port I use, as none of
them are being used by anything right now.  The switches on the back of
the modem are set for COM2 right now, but I can easily change them.  COM2
is disabled in the system setup.  In my kernel sio0 is on irq 4 and sio1
is on irq 3.  sio2 and sio3 are disabled.  dmesg output shows that bsd is
finding sio0, but not sio1.

How, exactly, assuming I'm not doing it right so far, do I set everything
so that this modem is actually on sio1?  I'm not sure if the modem even
works, but I can't check that until I get freebsd to acknowledge its
existance.  Is there somethign I have to set in the kernel in addition to
the sio lines to use an internal modem, like a driver?  Am I supposed to
MAKEDEV or anything?

I looked around in the handbook and it wasn't much help.  It briefly goes
into using serial ports, but it moves on assuming that I actually got the
serial ports to set up correctly.  I know this sounds melodramatic, but
things just don't work like they're supposed to for me, computer related
or otherwise.  I've been trying to find another external modem to solve
all of this, but I can't find anything around where I live.

- Graey