Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 12:03:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, Eric Griff <eric@netdesign1.com>
Subject:   Re: SOLVED. Re: ps problems (explained)

Did you took the same steps as I did? Which are, again:

1- cvsup the new sources

2- make buildworld

3- shutdown or reboot in single-user mode

4- make installworld

5- update /etc and /dev

6- build and install a new kernel

I also made the following guesses:

A- mv /var/run/utmp /tmp; touch /var/run/utmp

B- umount /proc and remove /proc from /etc/fstab then reboot without
mounting /proc, then put /proc back in fstab and reboot

I don't know how valid is the "B" step, but that's one thing that made ps
work.

and for the "A" part, uptime and such things would not work before I do
this.

Hope this helps. What is the output of 'ps', 'uptime' and maybe 'last'?

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Jesse wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Spidey wrote:
>
> > I solved my ps problems, and I want to share my happiness with the list :)
>
> Glad to hear it.
>
> > - ps still gives me the creeps. ("bad namelist").
>
> > - I compile a custom kernel without nfs, vm86, bpfilter, ether, pca0,
> > speaker from my previous kernel version.
> > - This one works great! ps is working again!!!
>
> I tried the same, no luck.
>
> I'm basically having the exact same problem as you, but I haven't solved
> it and it's really bugging me. ps is broken with my normal kernel, with my
> customized kernel but everything you mentioned above removed and even
> with the GENERIC kernel.
>
> Don't know where to go from here though.
>
> ---
> Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
> http://www.lumiere.net/

Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
L'important ne serait que de voir

Lofofora