Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:48:23 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
Cc:        lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca, kris@obsecurity.org, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving UUCP to ports

In message <20010917212822.B52922@buffoon.automagic.org>, Joe Abley
writes:
> [reposted with corrected recipient addresses; bang-paths from an
> era long past removed with prejudice]

> >     Kris> I would like to move the UUCP suite from the base system
> >     Kris> into ports.  The UUCP utilities have a security hole which
> >     Kris> yields user uucp access, which can currently be leverage to
> >     Kris> obtain root access by trojaning the uucp binaries.  This
> >     Kris> security hole is believed to be basically unfixable due to
> >     Kris> the design of UUCP: we can limit its impact, but not
> >     Kris> eliminate it for all users.
> >
> > What's the specific bug here? It's hard to evaluate your request
> > without knowing the actual problem.
>
> UUCP was just (in the past week or so) removed from OpenBSD-current
> and into ports. I don't mean to suggest that anybody here should jump
> through hoops just because OpenBSD made a decision to do so; however,
> since it's a recent event I thought it might be newsworthy.
>
> I just saw the CVS log entries pertaining to the deUUCPification.
> Tracking down openbsd mailing list traffic on the subject might be
> useful.

A bug was discovered in Taylor UUCP (the UUCP used by most of the UNIX
world) and published on BUGTRAQ that users could execute arbitrary
commands as the UUCP user.  UUCP was designed for a more time and is
probably inappropriate for today's world.  Hence it should be moved to
ports and installed by only those who need its functionality.

In an ideal world it would not even be in ports, however there are
applications and people who still use and need UUCP, so moving it to
ports is probably the most appropriate thing we can do.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC