Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 21:54:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ejs@bfd.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asthetic Issues

 * By default, the port creates /usr/local/jed, then creates bin, lib, info,
 * and doc under that.  bin gets one file that should only be called by JED,
 * for its mail-handling mode.  lib gets all the config and sl files (slang
 * programs, equivelent of emac's .el files).  info and doc are pretty
 * self-explanitory.
 *
 * jed/doc is definitely getting moved to /usr/local/share/doc/jed

Yes.

 * bin and lib can stay where they're at, not sure about the info directory.

info should be in /usr/local/info.  It can share its info files with
other programs, right?  (I.e., emacs can read jed's info files and jed
can read emacs'.)

 * What I'm really concerned with, is that I was told that a program
 * shouldn't expect to have it's own directory under /usr or /usr/local.  At
 * this point, I'm favoring using /usr/local/lib/jed, with bin and lib under
 * that.

That's ugly. ;)

 * Finally, given that JED's make install sets up these directories itself,
 * should I not use the make install from it's makefile, and duplicate that
 * myself, or should I move everything again in post-install?  There's no way
 * other than tweeking the Makefile to get the existing Makefile to put these
 * in different areas.

Is it hard to patch the Makefile?  Often they are just variables
defined at the top, like:

INSTALL_PREFIX= /usr/local/jed
BINDIR=         ${INSTALL_PREFIX}/bin
INFODIR=        ${INSTALL_PREFIX}/info
DOCDIR=         ${INSTALL_PROFIX}/doc

Then you can just change these to

INSTALL_PREFIX= ${PREFIX}
BINDIR=         ${INSTALL_PREFIX}/bin
INFODIR=        ${INSTALL_PREFIX}/info
DOCDIR=         ${INSTALL_PROFIX}/doc/jed

Or something like that.

 * There also seems to be some differences that I'm tripping over between
 * 2.1.5 and 2.2 (sorry, no 3.0 machine to test with), where the 2.2 machine
 * is setting up in the directory /usr/local/lib/jed instead of
 * /usr/local/jed.  This may be due to configure detecting a previous install
 * of jed, though both machines already had a non-port install of jed done.
 * If there isn't anything that might cause this, don't worry about it, I'll
 * track it down one way or another.

I can't think of any reason why 2.1.5 and 2.2 behave differently in
this regard, but it could be the version of bsd.port.mk.  Make sure
you test it with the latest version (2.2-STABLE would be fine).

Satoshi