Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:13:58 -0800
From:      "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@netapp.com>
To:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS Performance

Greetings:

I need to use a Fbsd box to do a 1Tb data migration via NFS between two NetApp
boxes, and unfortunately the NetApp tools such as 'vol copy' are not applicable.

Ive used Fbsd for years, but have never thought much about tuning NFS for
maximum thruput.

I hope to be using the Alteon Gig-E card(s) in the Fbsd box, this is a
P3/550/256Mb system.

Questions:

1)  Will the box perform better with ONE card doing reads from one box, and the
other writing to the destination filer?  Or one card doing both. (mainly a
question about how will the data work best..across the bus, or within the same
card during the Xfer)

2)  Specific kernel tricks to enhance data movement.  The data set isnt all
large files, but a large free WWW hosting site, tons of small files as well as
www server logs for thousands of virtual servers.

3)  Can anyone reccomend perhaps a better card than the Alteon?  We stopped
using the Alteon at NetApp because of it's overall dismal performance.  The
Intel GigE card would be quite nice..if I had a choice.

Thanks