Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:21:54 -0700
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        "N. N.M" <madrapour@hotmail.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Again logging!

> 3- Will it affect the system performance if I activate the logging of
> TCP and UDP connections by setting the following kernel variables?:
> net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1
> net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=1
I'm sure it does.  I have no specific numbers though.

I run with both turned on on the main router (which is a FreeBSD box).
My router is idle >99% of the time, so the performance hit is not a
problem.  The machine is much faster than the network connection (33.6
full-time dialup in my case).

How fast is your network connection?  That and the performance of your
machine should be the determining factor(s) about whether or the
performance hit will be a problem.

Kenneth