Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2008 08:30:05 GMT
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/128711: Re: [patch] for handbook browsers page

The following reply was made to PR docs/128711; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To: Eitan Adler <EitanAdlerList@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 09:25:07 +0100

 On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 01:19:30AM +0000, Eitan Adler wrote:

 > >Number:         128711
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       Re: [patch] for handbook browsers page
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > 1) the list at the top of handbook/desktop-browsers.html is changed to a list of major browsers in the system

 The goal of this section is indeed talking about major browsers, the
 audience is the newcomer to FreeBSD.  Firefox (and Mozilla, well Mozilla
 part should be removed since Firefox is now preferred), Opera and
 Konqueror can be seen as major browsers since they can really render any
 site.  Dillo, links, lynx, w3m, etc. are light-weight browsers, they can't
 be seen as major browsers for obvious reasons...

 The current layout of the page is not bad and I don't see the need to
 add links, lynx, w3m to the table since we don't talk about them.
 I've no objection about adding something regarding Dillo, but we must be
 honest with the reader: Dillo cannot render correctly and be used on
 every websites around the world.

 > 2) An Entry for dillo and links is added
 > 4) some "ids" are added so that <xref> works properly
 > 5) A note of support for linux flash9 on -STABLE is added
 [...]

 This part is a bit "messy", it must be reworked and be sure it's working
 and stable.  I have to do some tests.

 --
 Marc