Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:22:27 -0500
From:      "Paul A. Howes" <freebsd-stable@fair-ware.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Tyan Motherboard Question...

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a Tyan Trinity i845E (S2099GNNR) motherboard for use as
a low-end server.  I can definitely make use of the included gigabit
controller, but would like to know which driver to use.

The chip is an Intel 82540 according to the specs available on Tyan's
Web site.  Looking in LINT, I see that there are three possible drivers:
em, gx, and wx.  The "em" driver is apparently supplied by Intel, and
specifically supports the chip I have.  The "gx" driver does not specify
my particular chip, but seems to support the family in general.  The
"wx" driver does not list what chips it does or does not support.

Can anyone recommend one of these drivers over the others?  Thanks!

--
Paul A. Howes