Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:30:43 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2.99.3 on -CURRENT

Hello,

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 11:09:28AM +0100, Frode Nordahl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone had any success with this combo?

Yes. Apart from the known problem with my S3 Virge GX2 graphics adapter,
which causes random freezes under X when only the reset button helps.
But this has been happening since at least X version 4.2.0.
Unfortunately, there seems to be no easy fix for the problem, apart from
buying a new video card.

> It compiles fine, but the X server aborts due to bus error (SIGBUS)
> generated by something in xf86GetPciBridgeInfo()
>
> (xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86pciBus.c)
>
> Running -CURRENT (World/kernel) as of December 29.  XFree86 sources as
> of December 30, cvsup'ed with tag xf-4_2_99_3

Hmmm. I have the same version of X as you (roughly, the tag was already
in place by the time I built although I always use HEAD, I built on 23rd
December) and FreeBSD is from 25th December.

My hardware deatils: (they may be relevant)
- 440LX chipset (yes, from '98)
- PII 233
- S3 Virge GX2 in AGP slot
- BIOS is still the original from spring 1998.

I have AGP in the kernel, but I cannot say if X uses it or not, there is
no word of it in the X log.

I used the CVS to build X, but tweaked the config to use the expat, the
freetype2 and libxml2 from the system (ports) instead of the packaged
ones that are in the X repo.

Additional info is available on request, including details of my build
environment.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM