Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:39:36 +0300
From:      Ilker OZUPAK <ilker.ozupak@emu.edu.tr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com>
Subject:   Re: cvsup

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 02:49, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> > BTW!  After updating to 4-STABLE do I then perform all the following
> > steps?
> >
> > Go to /usr/src
> > enter the command: make buildworld KERNCONF=3Dyourkernelname
in your mail you asked about a good name. actully the name mantioned here
is the name of config file for your kernel which is located at
 /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/

> > then: make kernel
> > reboot
> > go to /usr/src and type: make installworld
>
> No:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>
> The overview from the Handbook goes like this:

I suggest you read this page carefully a few times becouse IMO
there is no order in it. and it is confusing.

another important thing to read is /usr/src/UPDATING before you start build=
ing
your new world.=20

> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # reboot
>     You should boot in single user mode (using boot -s from loader prompt
>     for example). Then run:
the given overview would fail ,
reason is, when you boot to single user / is mounted READONLY
read the page you will find instructions for single user mode

> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
one more thing should be here. update /dev (this is 4.x only)
> # reboot
>
> (I don't boot into single user there, but it's definitely a good thing
> to do.)

> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA
hope this help..

=2D --=20
IO
=2D --
gpg public key @ http://cmpe.emu.edu.tr/ilker/ilker.asc
pub =C2=A01024D/A4F41BD0 2003-07-16 Ilker Ozupak <ilker.ozupak@emu.edu.tr>
Primary key fingerprint: E509 17B6 C8E2 ADB7 32A7 =C2=A04746 BF14 814A A4F4=
 1BD0