Date:      22 Nov 1995 10:13:05 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getblk hangs

roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert) writes:

>It seems that John Dyson said:
>> There have been problems in the clustering code and a minor spl problem
>> in the vfs_bio code.  Also, any use of the ext2fs would almost certainly be
>> fatal (eventually) until this last weekends modification.  If you have
>> had these hangs (neither DG nor I have had any problems, but he and
>> I only use UFS, NFS (dg only) , and CD9660 occasionally), please try the code
>> again.  If you find any getblk hangs -- let me know, and I'll supply a patch
>> that can derive more information from the situation.

>The problem is, I don't know if it is still the  getblk hang or not. I have
>no  output  whatsoever.   The machine  is    frozen  by any    disk-related
>activity. Last time  I got one  (Nov 19th sources),  the X screen saver was
>still working (like someone  else) and then   when I tried to do  something
>involving the disk,  freeze. I was  able to switch   from X11 to a  virtual
>console then  total freeze.  DDB  doesn't  seem to  help (i.e.  no debugger
>call).

>I want to help you but it is difficult :-(

Suggestion: Grab the recently changed top port from -current and
rebuild/install it.  You can leave that running somewhere, and it'll
now show the symbolic wait channels.  If you get a hang and the
machine locks up when disk activity is attempted top should either
have frozen showing where the processes have hung, or should continue
as long as it (or the X server) doesn't need to be paged in or out.

>My Nov,  6th kernel is fine  (see below). Sources from  a few hours before,
>probably between end of Nov, 5th and beginning of Nov 6th (Pacific time).

Hmm.  When was the first time after Nov 6 that you had trouble?  Do
you remember?  It might help narrow it down...  BTW; when was the last
-current your tried?

Cheers,
-Peter