Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2018 12:03:53 -0600
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>
Cc:        freebsd-erlang@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OTP 21 for Elixir

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018, at 08:03, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2018, at 18:54, Mark Felder wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a patch to create lang/erlang21 for lang/elixir to depend upon.
> > Please let me know if there are any changes that should be made before
> > bringing this into the tree.
> >

> > https://reviews.freebsd.org/D18324
>
> Thanks Mark,
>
> Is lang/erlang-runtime21 not already sufficient? This works for me for
> years now, both for producing releases and running interactively:
>
> ```
> $ export PATH=/usr/local/lib/erlang21/bin:$PATH
> $ mix ...
> ```
>
> Mmm, it's probably time to move default erlang to OTP20, which is
> effectively the oldest official supported release.
>
> PS glad to hear there are more Elixir-FreeBSD people around! If it's
> helpful I have a lot of FreeBSD packaging bits for Elixir apps, happy to
> share them if that's of use.

Elixir will not currently compile with lang/erlang-runtime21; I assume because erlc is not in $PATH. I haven't had time to dig into the specifics of the elixir-runtime ports. Are they complete but just lacking symlinks of binaries into ${PREFIX}/bin ? If so I think we might be able to fix this easier.

--
  Mark Felder
  ports-secteam & portmgr member