Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:44:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Johann Visagie <johann@egenetics.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: corporate announcement

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Johann Visagie wrote:

> Robert Watson on 2001-04-04 (Wed) at 18:53:07 -0400:
> >
> > I actually see the acquisition as an important opportunity for
> > positive change: many of the unreached goals of BSDi become far more
> > reachable with the help of a large, technically savvy yet financially
> > stable company like WR.
>
> Can you - or somebody else who's in the know - maybe give some
> background on WindRiver?  I, for one, have never heard of them until
> today (though admittedly that may indicate nothing but my own ignorance
> ;-).

Well, I've never done much realtime programming, but the main thing I
think of when I hear the name Wind River is embedded and realtime
programming.  Their vxworks product is pretty much industry-standard
realtime operating system.  Although I haven't used them, I'm told their
development tools are first class, especially when it comes to debugging
threaded/realtime/etc.  Here are some URLs you might find useful:

  http://www.wrs.com/

Company home-page.  The normal PR stuff.

  http://www.wrs.com/press/html/bsdi.html

Press release regarding BSDi software acquisition.

  http://www.wrs.com/press/html/bsdi_faq.html

Frequently asked questions regarding the acquisition and intended
relationships between WRS and {BSDi, FreeBSD, ...}

  http://www.wrs.com/products/html/families.html

WRS product families web page.

You can also find links to recordings of the two conference calls
yesterday off of their front page.  The first conference call includes
slides, and was the "first announcement" targetted at WRS investors,
analysists, and the media.  The second was a FreeBSD-targeted call and
largely consisted of fielding questions from the FreeBSD community.