Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:40:05 GMT
From:      Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/166091: [libc][patch] fts(3) should document cases where FTS_NOCHDIR option is set as a side-effect

The following reply was made to PR docs/166091; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, matthewstory@gmail.com
Subject: Re: docs/166091: [libc][patch] fts(3) should document cases where
 FTS_NOCHDIR option is set as a side-effect
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 23:38:53 +0100

 > [fts(3) automatically sets FTS_NOCHDIR option in some cases]

 I consider the automatic FTS_NOCHDIR a semi-bug that should not be
 relied on. If FTS_NOCHDIR is set, fts(3) runs slower and is subject to
 {PATH_MAX}. The latter would violate POSIX in various utilities.

 I tried to allow FTS_LOGICAL without FTS_NOCHDIR a while ago, but while
 it is conceptually possible, actually making it work is hard.

 The open(".", O_RDONLY) can use O_SEARCH when it is added (for now,
 O_EXEC works) so it only needs 'x' right not also 'r'.

 --
 Jilles Tjoelker